[kwlug-disc] [Phoronix] Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 31 13:03:33 EST 2009

Thank you both.

A DOH! moment - running 64-bit means (substantially? always?) that
you're running 64-bit apps. So no issue.

Unless, as Khalid points out, you're doing something special, like
outside the repository. Which, inherently, will say to me to keep an
eye on it / there might be issues. Probably not, but have an eye.

Or, as Chris points out (for some reason I wasn't thinking binaries
when I posted, I unconsciously slipped into gentoo everything gets
locally compiled when you bring it down, mode) if a 32-bit exe comes
down from the repositories (being the only version in the repository),
then all necessary extra bits will come down too.

And, over time, such need to run 32-bit anything will disappear as
anything not currently migrated moves that way.

I didn't mean to imply I was judging 64-bit Linux by XP64 experience,
only that it made me wary enough to ask questions like this up front /
beforehand.

Initially, I was trying to understand the rational behind running
64-bit on hardware that couldn't take advantage of it. The answer to
which seems to be there is no degradation and ultimately everything
will be 64-bit. So get on with it.

Thank you both.