[kwlug-disc] non-compete agreement.

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Dec 31 00:07:06 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:27:05PM -0500, Joe Wennechuk wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about non-compete agreements? I would like
> to get some help with a project, and I would like to protect myself and
> my idea. Is there any forms, or legal software for linux that can help
> with basic legal documents and such.

Well, you did ask on an open source mailing list, so as (the?) resident
contrarian, I'd encourage you to re-think it.  Non-compete agreements
are an attempt to use the legal system to defeat capitalism in order
to install a monopoly.

And if you're just trying to protect your ideas, and you plan to treat
your employees properly, a non-disclosure agreement until product release
is probably all you need.

Note that an idea is worth minus a million dollars:

	http://www.artlebedev.com/mandership/161/

By the time you release your product, you'll already have an advantage,
and any non-compete agreement would just be unnecessary and unfair
baggage on the people who helped you get there.  Better to inspire
loyalty in your employees than tie up their futures with red tape.

And for anyone about to sign a non-compete agreement, I hope you're getting
some serious financial consideration for all that time you're agreeing to sit
on your hands with your newly earned skills.

- Chris