[kwlug-disc] the value of twitter: part deux

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Dec 24 07:36:38 EST 2009

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, Raul Suarez wrote:

> --- On Wed, 12/23/09, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > she got her current job as WORLDWIDE
> > CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER for a european ECM company pretty
> > much through twitter.
>
> Where is the "results are not typical, yuor experience may vary"
> disclaimer.

  of course your mileage may vary.  it will *certainly* vary if you
make no attempt to use social media whatsoever.

> I am sure you got your gigs and she got hers due to experience. You
> need something to tweet about and people must be interested on what
> you tweet about.

  and i choose to think that this mailing list is *loaded* with clever
people who have something to tweet about that would be of interest to
others.  and if they can't, they should learn.

> No different than writing academic papers and books on the pre-tweet
> era (and still now) Of course now with a lower barrier of entry.

  sure.  that "barrier of entry" being precisely zero.

> I understand that social media can be a huge catalyst the same as
> social mingling and networking is. The fact is that some people know
> how to "work the room" at a party, some don't.

  and if you can't "work the room," you have two choices -- learn how,
or just give up and accept that you can't.  only one of those two
choices has the potential for increasing your business success.  that
decision is entirely up to you.

> The fact is that it's not that you are tweeting, it is what you are
> tweeting about.

  i didn't start out being good at it.  as with everything else, it
took practise.  after a while, you learn what works on twitter and
what doesn't.  but not joining or trying at all -- that pretty much
*doesn't* work.

> But I agree everything else being equal, sure, social media,
> networking, writing books will get you the gig, it always has.

  no argument there.

rday