[kwlug-disc] ?: What is twitter / twitting?

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:55:10 EST 2009

Probably not. I will admit that twitter is for the post email
generation. Email was the basic function of internet usage. Now
emailing means a personal message on Facebook.

However, as silly as it may seem, and as useless as a lot of stuff
being tweeted is, there is funny and useful info being shared on
twitter.

On 12/23/09, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Don't mean to take away from the other thread, where the desire for
> twitter seems evident, it's just the kwlug mechanics being sorted out.
>
> I know nothing of Twitter.
>
> My impression is that it is an IM broadcast (one listens to a stream
> of traffic - doesn't mean there are cars in that lane nose to nose).
>
> Which is to say, a play by play, blow by blow, <thunk>.
>
> Most of the time I don't care - tell me when it's over and what you
> figured out.
>
> Take the news, of a lost child, in another part of the country - don't
> spend time telling me the story of every shrubbery that got searched,
> tell me when the situation is resolved, and then what happened.
> (Perhaps an extreme example.)
>
> I get announcements, but I get same in a timely manner by other means,
> e.g. e-mail. I don't need them on the fly when I'm out and about.
>
> Am I understanding the phenomena correctly?
>
> Is twitter for me?

Sent from my mobile device