[kwlug-disc] Company sponsorship for meeting place?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 21 15:18:58 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 02:26:27PM -0500, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:

> Perhaps it could be more informal than that.  Corporate folks could
> just pay the library directly - let them handle the money without it
> passing through the lug's hands.  But I don't have a strong opinion,
> particularly since I rarely attend.

My bias would be to avoid incorporation, but while lurking on the
makekw list it was clear that some people felt strongly that
incorporating would be a good idea to protect our "assets", if you
know what I mean. Personally I don't think I would participate in the
KWLUG corporate bureaucracy.

My preference would be to say that anybody can contribute to a pot
that is used for meeting spaces, and that we make sure we have enough
money to have meeting space for a year.

I would be okay with displaying corporate logos on the website. I
would not be okay with changing the mandate of KWLUG to appease our
corporate masters. If companies feel that having KWLUG in existence is
good for them, they can donate. Otherwise there is no obligation (even
from the business owners who are active on this list).

If that sounds like the FLOSS Fund setup that's probably not a
coincidence.

> If the folks running the show decide the KPL works, I'm quite happy
> to call the KPL directly and pay them my share.

I like the KPL. I think it does not work as a long-term location. By
Fall 2010 they will be starting their renovations:

http://www.kpl.org/central/prg_project.html

I went to a public meeting about the library renovations, and they
said that they would be closing meeting rooms to keep parking
pressures down during the construction phase.

- Paul