[kwlug-disc] communitech?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Dec 21 10:57:52 EST 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Darcy Casselman wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >  i know it's been mentioned already, but is there anything available
> > once a month thru communitech?
>
> I was going to ask in person, but if someone better able to
> "represent" KWLUG wants to make a pitch, I'd recommend emailing
> Wanda Eby (wanda at communitech.ca) and see if it's possible to book a
> once-a-month meeting at the Accelerator Centre.  My sense is with
> the number of P2P groups they currently have, they are looking for
> additional venues themselves.  But it's possible.  We won't know
> until we ask.
>
> If we're really looking upscale, CIGI and the Perimeter Institute
> also have fantastic meeting/presentation spaces.  I have no idea who
> to contact in those organizations, however.

  i'll tell this story, just for the fun of it.  when i moved to
calgary in 1991, i quickly learned of the calgary unix users group
(CUUG).  they met once a month, i think on a tuesday *right* after
work (5 pm) in the shell building downtown, in the massive lecture
theatre.  there was free pizza since it was expected that folks were
coming straight from work.  the venue was gorgeous, sat over 200, and
was frequently close to full.

  speakers, well ... i remember some dude from the open software
foundation (OSF), and once there was john gage, senior scientist from
SUN.  this is just to give an idea of what one group decided they were
going to do.

  that's not to say that would work here.  calgary is a special case
since there's such a concentrated downtown core and almost everyone
just walked over from work.  geeks, managers and everyone in between.

  but again, it's a question of, what does KWLUG want to be?  and what
audience is it trying to attract?  once you answer those questions,
you'll know what venue you should be going after.

rday