[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Dec 20 14:18:11 EST 2009


Rob Day wrote:

> KWLUG is currently looking for a place to meet.
>
>   how exactly does that qualify as "successful?" 

A meeting space or lack of meeting space doesn't define "success" or 
"failure".  KWLUG is successful because we're a strong, cohesive group 
with a focus. We do things that we find beneficial.   Membership is 
growing, at least it seems to me the meetings are fuller than ever.  I 
have the feeling that the mailing list membership is growing too.


Paul Nijjar stated:

>I agree that KWLUG has plateaued (and even regressed) in some ways.


I disagree completely.  The presentations are better than ever, the 
attendance seems to be better than ever, and the after-meeting-meetings 
have been more interesting than ever as we get to know each other better.

True, the focus has ramped up from  "Intro to Linux for New Users" to 
"Advanced Topics, More Server, Less Desktop", but the original New Users 
have ramped up to Intermediate or Advanced Users too.  Perhaps KWLUG is 
no longer a group for beginners.  That's certainly reflected in the lack 
of the pre-meeting-meeting, and the high level of presentations we've 
been having lately. And it hasn't hurt attendance.

Of course we welcome beginners, but there has been no demand BY 
beginners for presentations FOR beginners.    With the church location 
and an infusion of new members that may change.  But let's not be 
changing the focus of the group without a demonstrated need.


I've been active in many computer clubs and user groups.  Some were 
eclipsed by new technology (C64, Internet Users); some were so formal 
they weren't any fun; some were extremely popular online but Real Life 
meetings weren't.  KWLUG is one of the best groups I've participated 
in.  Let's not analyze it to death.

--Bob.

"When you do a lot of navel gazing, mostly what you find is lint."

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Voice: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON  Canada  N3B 1L5  Cel: +1-519-635-9413
Software   ---   Office & Business Automation   ---   Consulting




Chris Bruner wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, Raul Suarez wrote:
>>
>>  
>>> I really think that the KWLUG has gone on quite successfully without
>>> the need to define or frame it.
>>>     
>>
>>   and i realize that i'm not going to win any friends with what i'm
>> about to say, but i would disagree that KWLUG has been a "success,"
>> depending on your definition of the word.
>>
>>   i first got involved with KWLUG after i moved back to canada from
>> the states several years back.  at that time (IIRC), it was meeting at
>> the working centre.  and at that time, linux was in the process of
>> catching fire.
>>
>>   fast forward several years to today.  linux is all the rage, you can
>> get it on netbooks, everyone's talking about it, you can't turn around
>> without the mainstream media writing about the delights of open
>> source and ... KWLUG is currently looking for a place to meet.
>>
>>   how exactly does that qualify as "successful?"
>>   
>
> I think it is a very good definition of successful if you are linking 
> the rise of Linux popularity with the kwlug. kwlug has not gone away 
> and would have been happy to stay at the working center if not for the 
> noise factor. This is the only reason we are homeless at the moment.
>
> I remember when the Internet was new and there was an Internet users 
> group which introduced people to email browsers different isps etc. It 
> was quite interesting as a bunch of eclectic people attended the 
> meetings, but over time the meetings grew less popular and more 
> technical. Yet the Internet took off. I think the two groups have a 1 
> to 1 correlation. The Internet group died out because it wasn't new 
> anymore, and everyone knew enough to get around.  It got more 
> technical because the easy stuff had been done to death.
>
> This is a normal path for a fundamentally changing technology. At 
> first the group has a strong reason for existing. To explain the 
> basics to a wide audience.  Then later as the technology takes hold 
> and becomes embedded in society to delve into the more technical 
> aspects of it.  We are not quite there yet, but as the people who are 
> interested in the "good" stuff have gained their knowledge the need 
> for non-technical decreases.
>
> On another point, in years past kwlug had things like social night, 
> gamers night, or christmas cool stuff etc where software and new 
> products that used Linux were showcased. Just for fun. I wouldn't mind 
> going back to that once in a while.
>
> _______________________________________________
> kwlug-disc_kwlug.org mailing list
> kwlug-disc_kwlug.org at kwlug.org
> http://astoria.ccjclearline.com/mailman/listinfo/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org



More information about the kwlug-disc_kwlug.org mailing list