[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Dec 20 14:18:11 EST 2009

Rob Day wrote:

> KWLUG is currently looking for a place to meet.
>
>   how exactly does that qualify as "successful?"

A meeting space or lack of meeting space doesn't define "success" or
"failure".  KWLUG is successful because we're a strong, cohesive group
with a focus. We do things that we find beneficial.   Membership is
growing, at least it seems to me the meetings are fuller than ever.  I
have the feeling that the mailing list membership is growing too.

Paul Nijjar stated:

>I agree that KWLUG has plateaued (and even regressed) in some ways.

I disagree completely.  The presentations are better than ever, the
attendance seems to be better than ever, and the after-meeting-meetings
have been more interesting than ever as we get to know each other better.

True, the focus has ramped up from  "Intro to Linux for New Users" to
"Advanced Topics, More Server, Less Desktop", but the original New Users
have ramped up to Intermediate or Advanced Users too.  Perhaps KWLUG is
no longer a group for beginners.  That's certainly reflected in the lack
of the pre-meeting-meeting, and the high level of presentations we've
been having lately. And it hasn't hurt attendance.

Of course we welcome beginners, but there has been no demand BY
beginners for presentations FOR beginners.    With the church location
and an infusion of new members that may change.  But let's not be
changing the focus of the group without a demonstrated need.

I've been active in many computer clubs and user groups.  Some were
eclipsed by new technology (C64, Internet Users); some were so formal
they weren't any fun; some were extremely popular online but Real Life
meetings weren't.  KWLUG is one of the best groups I've participated
in.  Let's not analyze it to death.

--Bob.

"When you do a lot of navel gazing, mostly what you find is lint."