[kwlug-disc] (In progress) kwlug candidate meeting site sourced.

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Sat Dec 19 22:21:44 EST 2009

Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/19/2009 8:52 PM:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca
> <mailto:unsolicited at swiz.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Khalid Baheyeldin wrote, On 12/19/2009 9:32 AM:
>
>         Well said Raul. I agree.
>
>         Let us not change because we are looking for a location. Let us
>         change because of other more organic reasons (new audience mix,
>         new meeting topics, ....etc.)
>

>     I don't understand. This is all one and the same, wrapped up in each
>     other. Change has occurred - the Working Centre became too noisy.
>

> No, it does not follow ...

Yes, it absolutely does follow.

The loss of the Working Centre leads to a need for a new location.

That location must be free - kwlug cannot sustain a per meeting rental
fee.

Therefore someone must sponsor us the space.

Their first question: Who are you?

Their second question: Why do I care, what can you do for me? (Since
we're not giving them money, a self-sufficient and self-evident answer
in every other case.)

	Or, we have this space which our members pay for, or is otherwise
funded somehow for some particular purpose. The space is not currently
being used, and open for our members to use. Will our members be
welcome and want to participate in this use of their space?

Somehow, for some reason, I don't think me standing up in front of
them and saying, "Yes, of course!", will be taken as sufficient
evidence, or sufficiently credible, in and of itself.

So ... how do we show them ... "Yes, of course!"

[The above will be true for ANY organization able to sponsor us space
for free. Consider Raul/Manulife - no go because not enough
Manulife'rs would attend.]

> "We need a new place to meet doing what we were doing all along" is
> different
> from "who are we? why are we here? we should change?" ...etc.
>
> Two different topics that should not overlap. We are confusing ourselves if
> we are mixing them up like this.

The two topics don't overlap, they are one in the same. To get a place
  to do what we've been doing all along means explaining what we've
been doing all along. In order to get a sponsor to buy in to
sponsoring us, they must know what they're buying in to.

"Who are you?" "What do you do?"

No sponsor is going to sponsor us for free if the people paying for
the space can't participate.

"Can we participate?" Yes. "Prove it." "Show us."

[It would be different if some committee member had been attending
kwlug meetings for some time. They will have lived kwlug. Since that
isn't the case, how do we "Show them."?]

Things are one in the same.

All I have suggested in various ways is 'make the inclusiveness
visible.' That's the only change we're talking about.

Actually, that's not true, there is one other change - What are the
consequences of having this space?

	Well ... one of the consequences is having additional rooms
available, such that perhaps a 'workshop' could simultaneously split
off from the presentation, if people desired. It would require no
additional effort on our part, and would likely be self-provisioning.
i.e. If a group of 8 people went into another room, a few with laptops
perhaps, they'll end up talking about whatever they end up talking
about. Perhaps Brent will help someone to get jack going. Perhaps
Kahlid will help someone tweak their apache / mysql / drupal install.
Perhaps Lori will help someone get the firmware into OpenWRT that
first time. Perhaps all 3 will happen simultaneously. Perhaps over a
(root) beer.

Not so much 'change', I think, as 'identification'?