[kwlug-disc] (Proposed) New kwlug meeting section: Q & A

R. Brent Clements rbclemen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 21:28:07 EST 2009

I don't think that most of us could even start an answer in 30
seconds.  And too many people would be too shy for that kind of
tomfoolery.

The biggest concern I have with this kind of interaction is that, to
put it bluntly, we are not the best people to answer simple questions
for people who can only handle the simple answers.  We just aren't.

On 12/18/09, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
> Not everyone participates in the list, especially newcomers. Whom, I
> think, will be the source of most such questions.
>
> And it's a little more welcoming and in person participative.
>
> Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 12/18/2009 4:53 PM:
>> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, unsolicited wrote:
>>
>>> Here's an idea (proposal) ...
>>>
>>> Suppose we take 10 minutes at each meeting, a *strongly* constrained
>>> 10 minutes, for questions on anything from the floor - doesn't
>>> matter what the question's on (Linux, Windows, whatever), but the
>>> answer has to have a FOSS component. (Windows so we can tie it back
>>> to FOSS/Linux - e.g. vnc client, samba.)
>>
>>   how is this an improvement over simply asking such a question on
>> this mailing list, where you have the entire power of the membership
>> to answer it?

Sent from my mobile device