[kwlug-disc] Decrease boot time

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri Dec 18 17:31:51 EST 2009

I agree that bootup messages are useful, but some people[*] I've spoken
with who are new to Linux (Ubuntu, specifically) do not want to see the
bootup messages because "they're ugly, and Windows is not". The
perception becomes "Linux is ugly", which becomes a major mental block
to adoption. Next, when something happens in Linux that's different from
Windows the perception is "I knew it, Linux is ugly AND bad".

So, if you want to target Windows people with low technical skills,
hiding the bootup messages increases Linux adoption.

[*] I observed that those people were all well past retirement age. I
think that ageism has crept into society at large, saying that older
people can't learn new things. Sadly, some of those older people
actually believe that. It has also been my experience that (other) older
people adopt computer technology just as readily as younger people
because computers and the online experience fulfill a need that the
technology they grew up with just doesn't meet. F'rinstance, when was
the last time you actually sent postal mail with enclosed photographs to
your grandparents? Far easier for them to read your blog and subscribe
to your tweets.

--Bob.