[kwlug-disc] android phone, anyone?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 17 20:40:14 EST 2009

R. Brent Clements wrote, On 12/17/2009 8:17 PM:
> Bell has a couple of "world edition" phones that do GSM if you put a
> card in them. I heard that rogers spent millions of dollars finding a
> way to detect if a Rogers Sim card was in a non-Rogers phone. The
> solution was apparently hidden firmware that periodically phones home.

And if it does?

i.e. I slapped my sim card into that treo and just got on with my day.
It was a phone, if Rogers was restricting me in some way, it was never
apparent to me. [I dropped that Treo, then bought a used Rogers Treo
via kijiji - put the sim card in and again got on with my day.
non/Rogers Treo, I couldn't tell the difference.] YMMV?

(This is firmware in the sim card?)