[kwlug-disc] android phone, anyone?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Dec 17 18:24:14 EST 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote, On 12/17/2009 3:21 PM:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> For handsets, there is a new Android "Droid" phone that is getting
>> good reviews.
>
>   is that available thru a canadian carrier?  i didn't see it as an
> option anywhere i was shopping.

Shouldn't matter. Slap your current rogers/fido sim card into it, and
get on with your day.

	I first purchased a used Treo 680 via ebay. Called up the U.S.
carrier (forget which one) 1-800 number and they cheerfully gave me
the unlock code. [Which really just undedicated the phone from their
particular network.] Once the carrier's initial hardware purchase
contract is completed, it seems they're happy to unlock your phone.

So, you could buy an unlocked GSM phone from anywhere, slap your sim
card in it, and get on with your day.