[kwlug-disc] New locations brainstorming
paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 16 18:41:55 EST 2009
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:26:18PM -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:
> I asked at Manulife but my request was declined as I am the only
> Manulifer in the group.
Thanks for asking. (I am tempted to make some crack about
indoctrinating your coworkers into the LUG, but I'll be good.)
In other news, I have clearance to use St. John's Kitchen (97 Victoria
St, at Weber) for January and potentially longer.
- It is much more spacious than 43 Queen. The capacity is well over 100
people (probably closer to 200).
- There is much less background chatter than 43 Queen.
- We can probably set up temporary wireless for each meeting if it is
- It is fairly likely that we can use this as a permanent home even if
we don't buy beer. There is no cost to us.
- There is lots of bike parking, and okay public transit.
- There is some free parking but not much. There is a pay lot at the
VIA rail station, and other assorted parking in downtown Kitchener.
- For security reasons we can't leave the entrance open all evening.
Probably we would close it up at 7:15pm or so.
- There will be some background noise. There is a doorbell for
latecomers. The phones ring every so often for no good reason. There
are some background fans. I am hoping that we will not need a sound
system, though (we had better not. I am not carrying that thing back
- It is not as beautiful as the Heuther.
- There are no munchies onsite.
- In the summer there may be light issues.
My overall assessment is that this location has a lot more potential
than 43 Queen. It is "not bad" on a lot of fronts, and not perfect on
anything. It is zero cost and potentially long-term, though.
Let me know your preferences for January. I have heard of no other
concrete locations for January, although I know people are looking
More information about the kwlug-disc_kwlug.org