[kwlug-disc] New locations brainstorming

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 16 18:41:55 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:26:18PM -0800, Raul Suarez wrote:

> I asked at Manulife but my request was declined as I am the only
> Manulifer in the group.

Thanks for asking. (I am tempted to make some crack about
indoctrinating your coworkers into the LUG, but I'll be good.)

In other news, I have clearance to use St. John's Kitchen (97 Victoria
St, at Weber) for January and potentially longer.

Advantages:
- It is much more spacious than 43 Queen. The capacity is well over 100
  people (probably closer to 200).

- There is much less background chatter than 43 Queen.

- We can probably set up temporary wireless for each meeting if it is
  not abused.

- It is fairly likely that we can use this as a permanent home even if
  we don't buy beer. There is no cost to us.

- There is lots of bike parking, and okay public transit.

Disadvantages:
- There is some free parking but not much. There is a pay lot at the
  VIA rail station, and other assorted parking in downtown Kitchener.

- For security reasons we can't leave the entrance open all evening.
  Probably we would close it up at 7:15pm or so.

- There will be some background noise. There is a doorbell for
  latecomers. The phones ring every so often for no good reason. There
  are some background fans. I am hoping that we will not need a sound
  system, though (we had better not. I am not carrying that thing back
  and forth.)

- It is not as beautiful as the Heuther.

- There are no munchies onsite.

- In the summer there may be light issues.

My overall assessment is that this location has a lot more potential
than 43 Queen. It is "not bad" on a lot of fronts, and not perfect on
anything. It is zero cost and potentially long-term, though.

Let me know your preferences for January. I have heard of no other
concrete locations for January, although I know people are looking
pretty hard.

- Paul