[kwlug-disc] KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux User Group new content notification: 2009-12-15 22:07

webhost at kwlug.org webhost at kwlug.org
Tue Dec 15 22:07:53 EST 2009

Greetings mail-forum-merge,

Recent content - 1 new post

1. Introduction to remote collaboration tutorials
Published Blog entry by Raul Suarez
[ http://kwlug.org/node/704 ]

Phew! It's been a week since the KWLUG meeting where I talked about
remote collaboration.
Believe or not, I hadn't had a moment, until now, to make good on my
promise to post the tutorials on-line.
First I was on Project Management training in Toronto from Monday to
Wednesday, then, Thursday and Friday preparing for an implementation at
work that kept me at home in front of the computer all Saturday and
Sunday.
How is this relevant to the collaboration topic? Well, For this
implementation we had people at several locations in Halifax, Toronto,
KW and Argentina. Most people working from home. Most of the work done
remotely on the servers.
To coordinate the work, I recommended the main project manager to share
the task by task schedule through an webconference while we were on a
phone conference. We had some hiccups that required modifying the
schedule on the fly. Everybody was able to see the changes and agree
with them with little discussion and even less confusion.
While I was on a 2 hour break during a long running task I received a
call from a different team doing a different, unrelated release. To
understand the problem I opened another webconference to allow the
developer share her desktop and explain it visually. Once I saw the
problem I was able to provide a solution in a couple of minutes. Trying
to explain the problem over email or even on the phone would have taken
substantially longer.
Ultimately, even though I was working all weekend, I was able to do it
in my pajamas in the warmth of my home and I didn't miss a beat.
The rest of the week I will post one topic per day, including a bit
more detailed instructions that I didn't have time to present.
I hope you enjoy and contribute with even better ways to do what I'm
doing.

--
This is an automatic e-mail from KWLUG - The Kitchener Waterloo Linux
User Group.