[kwlug-disc] top 10 command line commands

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 13:29:03 EST 2009

As you can see by the responses, the title should be

"My top 10 command line commands"

different people are worried about different things.

I am purposely constrained on HDD (I don't want to end up with too much data so I clean my partitions frequently)

ls -la

df -h

du -h --max-depth=1

On multiuser systems knowing now to use chown and chmod properly is fundamental.

and of course ssh with all it's variations.

Regarding the Perl command you wrote, I prefer to do things like that in sed as it is more ubiquitous. But as I said, a matter of preference.

For me some of the most useful commands are:
sed
grep
ls
df