[kwlug-disc] image copyright

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Dec 10 11:25:15 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 09:55, Insurance Squared Inc.
<gcooke at insurancesquared.com> wrote:
> I've had an artist hand draw some clip art type of images for use on one of
> my sites.  What would be the appropriate (C) notice for images that
> basically says 'here, you can have them if you want, just don't hotlink
> here'.
>
> Or perhaps I should just say that?

I'd pick a CC license that you feel is appropriate, and make a
disclaimer regarding hot-linking. Hot-linking is a technical point
instead of a rights issue, so don't expect any CC licenses to cover
that specifically.

Some folks set rewrite rules in .htaccess specifically targeting
hot-linking. For example, you can redirect to a lower-quality or
watermarked image, redirect to a single static "Don't Hotlink" image,
or just return an error of some sort (503 maybe?).

The .htaccess rules probably would could cause unforeseen issues with
legitimate non-referred access. I'm sure somebody has written
something to set up per-file rewrite rules based on a exceeding
threshold of activity indicated in the logs (i.e. some blogspam site
hotlinks your images and gets on digg/reddit/slashdot).

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>