[kwlug-disc] New locations brainstorming

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 13:30:03 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Eric Gerlach <eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 12:41:15PM -0500, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>> As for KWartzlab: it might work, but I would not want to make
>> presumptions. In addition to size constraints they operate on a
>> different model than KWLUG, so I would definitely expect that there
>> would (or should) be some rental fee issues.
>
> As the President, I can tell you that there's a lot of debate internally at
> KwartzLab about how and who we let into our space.  It's a very contentious
> issue, and I don't imagine that we're going to have it resolved anytime soon
> (although we'd like to).
>
> If KWLUG is interested, I can bring it to the Board, and we can see what
> happens there.

Except we're pretty sure what the answer would be.  There seems to be
a pretty broad consensus that we aren't willing to make a commitment
to allow external groups regular access to our space.  Occasional
access for seminars or workshops, maybe, but I don't think monthly
meetings would fly.

The Children's Museum has some space in their basement.  KPL has a
lecture theatre.  WPL has a classroom that might be big enough.

Has anyone ever looked into community centres?  The Albert McCormick
centre has some space, even though it might be out of the way for most
people.  No idea what it would take to book events in those, though.

Darcy.