[kwlug-disc] Desktop linux for Gramps

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Thu Dec 3 12:45:11 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:50:24AM -0500, Insurance Squared Inc. wrote:
> Any thoughts on how to build this machine? i.e. I would naturally
> install Mandriva with KDE because that's what I'm used to.  Any push to
> another distro or desktop?  Any must have apps other than what's
> typically installed with a regular distro?

My $0.02:

Make sure the machine is beefy enough to be fun to use.

Go with the distro you like at first.  If they want to explore, they
can do so after they've tried it out.

Make security updates easy to do, or even automatic.

Be prepared for how you will handle the request for Windows app software. :-)

See if you can find one feature or application that only Linux has, that
will make their lives easier.  If Linux has something Windows doesn't, then
it's not just a one-way loss.

- Chris