[kwlug-disc] next step in debian upgrade: upgrade etch 2.4 kernel to 2.6

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 19 20:53:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:50:24PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   ok, things seem to have stabilized, i have a smoothly-running etch
> system, fully upgraded, with only 3 (apparently minor) packages on
> hold at the moment.  but it's running only the 2.4.27 kernel so,
> before i go any further, it appears that i should upgrade to a 2.6
> kernel.
>
>   i'm reading the online docs about that as we speak and it *looks*
> relatively straightforward but, as always, i'm open to good advice.

If you are building your own kernel then use the "kernel-package"
package to Debian-ize it.

I am tempted to say that using a prebuilt kernel is straightfoward but
I am not entirely sure I can back that up. I have gotten burned with
problems burning CDs. I vaguely remember some issue with udev, but
maybe that was when I tried to boot a RAID 1 array using Lenny.
Sometimes module names change or disappear. However, I expect you are
far more familiar with these kinds of issues than I am, because you
pay a lot more attention to the kernel.

- Paul