[kwlug-disc] meaningful display resolutions for netbooks?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Aug 19 12:37:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Paul Gallaway wrote:

> True, many 1366x768 panels won't take that resolution or will
> stretch 1280x720 or 1024x768 to fill the screen on the VGA or HDMI
> inputs from computers What the article doesn't say is that some
> panels /will/ do 1:1 pixel. For a netbook that means more desktop
> real estate.

  sure, but let's make sure we're not talking at cross-purposes.  i
fully expect a netbook with a 1366x768 display to use the entire
display when i'm doing computer stuff at it.  and more pixels is
always better (in my opinion, anyway).

  the issue is when you try to drive a video signal into that
resolution.  there is no such thing as a 1366x768 video standard so
*something* is going to get scaled, that's all.  as far as i
understand it, your video standards are 1280x720 and 1920x1080, and
that's it (both of those being *exactly* 16:9).

  so to display on your netbook, either the picture will get scaled up
or down, or i guess you can just display the lower res at 1:1 1280x720
and leave the remaining border blank.

  am i making any sense or did i misread that point?

rday

p.s.  i've seen 1366x768 notebooks now being marketed as "HD WXGA".  i
guess that's the new acronym.