[kwlug-disc] OOXML and i4i patent litigation

Raul Suarez rarsa at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 14:02:57 EDT 2009

I stand corrected!

Reading the first pages of the complaint and reviewing the products offered by i4i, it seemed to me that they were referring to a method of editing XML. After reading the full patent it was clear that in reality it is a method for mapping the document content to metacodes instead of having them "in-line" describing the document.

I still think that the patent is frivolous.

Mapping data has existed for as long as I remember. This is, for example, the main way of interpreting and formatting fixed column data.

Actually the "advantage" of XML versus mapping was that the document contained both. Here it seems that they separate the content and the mapped metacodes, while still providing them in the same document.

Raul Suarez

Technology consultant
Software, Hardware and Practices
http://rarsa.blogspot.com/