[kwlug-disc] sarge -> etch: /etc/aliases.db issue

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Aug 17 10:09:08 EDT 2009

Quoting Eric Gerlach <eric+kwlug at gerlach.ca>:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 09:42:17AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   ok, i have a request for assistance.  just did a dist upgrade from
>> sarge to etch, almost everything went fine except for email not working
>> because the regenerated aliases db file is actually called
>> /etc/aliases.cdb, not aliases.db (that's what "newaliases" produces on
>> this new system).  which causes postfix to freak and refuse to start
>> since it's looking for /etc/aliases.db instead.
>>
>>   i've always been used to /etc/aliases.db, so what is the proper
>> approach to resolving this?  thanks.
>
> Google tells me that /etc/aliases.cdb is used by qmail.  Make sure that
> didn't get installed during the upgrade.  If not, then I have no idea.
>
> Maybe reinstall the postfix package, then run newaliases again?

   i don't think the problem is that the file is called
/etc/aliases.cdb.  in fact, there is explicit support for CDB-format
aliases files in this version of postfix (2.3.8-2+etch1).  i think the
problem is just *telling* postfix to use a .cdb file, rather than just
.db.  and qmail is not installed.

rday