[kwlug-disc] why would you do "apt-get dist-upgrade" regularly?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sat Aug 15 13:03:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:44:16PM -0400, Eric Gerlach wrote:
> That sounds good for a phase 2, but read Etch's release notes first.  I
> seem to recall that there were one or two packages you had to upgrade
> first (if they were installed) before doing the dist upgrade.

Yes, and I would add that it is perfectly ok to do an upgrade first, and
then the dist-upgrade.

Say you change your sources.list to etch, you can do an upgrade here,
to upgrade all the safe packages in one go.  The rest will have conflicts
and will be held back.  Then you'll have a smaller set with which to
do the dist-upgrade.  And hopefully a newer apt or aptitude will have
been installed with the safe upgrade, with which to make those
dist-upgrade decisions.

That's how my lenny upgrade went anyway... my etch memories are fuzzy. :-)

- Chris