[kwlug-disc] Is SVN good enough?

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Aug 14 21:09:56 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 08:41:49PM -0400, unsolicited wrote:
> - off the top of my head, I would say use CVS for code (solving an
> "individual's" problem), but adding file system level versioning
> (solving an administrator's problem) seems weird.

I use git for both.

	source control: both for quick one-off projects and public projects

	admin: I use git in my /etc directory so I can go back if a package
		update changes something I didn't notice

	combo: I use git to store custom built kernels, complete with all
		.o object files and the resulting .deb binary package.
		If I need to build a module against a specific kernel
		version, I just checkout the built version I need.

I know there are people who store their whole home directory in source
control, even back when it was only CVS.  I think Joey Hess (of Debian fame)
did this for a while, and is now using git.

CVS and git have the "quick local change" functionality down pat.  Git is
easier than CVS in this respect, since you don't have to worry about
remote publishing until you need it.

Having the ability to turn any directory into an instant repo, complete
with diff and history, is very handy, even if you just blow it away when
you're done.

	GIT:
		mkdir /tmp/something
		cd /tmp/something