[kwlug-disc] Is SVN good enough?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 14 16:17:13 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 03:15:43PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:

> Mercurial is a distributed VCS, SVN is not.

Yep. I am not looking for the distributed part so much (although
distributed definitely has advantages for things like backups) as the
merging aspect. I have heard that svn does do merging, but I have also
heard that the merge capabilities for the DVCSes are better.

Having said that, this is all hearsay. I can use a version control
system for simple things (making repositories, making commits) but
have not done anything with multiple branches.

Some of my coworkers have never used version control at all. Others
have not used it much. I tried to set up one of my coworkers
with Subversion some time ago, but he really struggled with the
server-client communication. He started using Mercurial for a
different codebase a few days ago, and it has been much more
straightforward because everything is local.

Having said that I think my next step is going to be playing with
merging in subversion to see whether I can figure it out. It looks
like a plurality of responses have suggested that it should be
possible to do what I want with subversion (but feel free to keep the
thread going).

- Paul