[kwlug-disc] Is SVN good enough?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 14 15:38:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 03:15:43PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > Git is the second most popular just because the Linux kernel uses it.
>
> Are there stats for this?  I guess I've never looked for them.

No stats, just anecdotal.

I should qualify that to say that this statement is for DVCS only, not
all VCS (the non distributed ones). SVN is the popular one among non
DVCS, and CVS by fact of inertia.

If you look at the ones that are used much they are Git, bzr and hg.
Git is used for the kernel and was written by Linus. bzr is used by
Canonical on Launchpad (where Ubuntu and other projects are).

bzr is more friendly, as you said that Git is not really intuitive.

> Many more projects than the kernel use git, such as Gnome, and soon KDE.
>
> --
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com