[kwlug-disc] Is SVN good enough?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Aug 14 15:15:43 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I think our goal is to have the source in version control, and then
> to track Joomla! changes while preserving our custom modifications.
> This sounds a lot like what the cool distributed version control
> systems do. However, getting a distributed system (I was thinking
> Mercurial for the cross-platform support) might be awkward. On the
> other hand, subversion is available.
>
> How feasible do you think SVN would be at handling this "track and
> merge" process we want to do? Would we really be much better off with
> one of the cool new toys?
>
> If we go with a cool new toy, is Mercurial good enough? I know that
> git is more popular with the Linux crowd, but having good native
> Windows support is an asset because I want to move Windows source code
> to version control as well, and using a single VCS is a lot more
> appealing than using a mix.
>
> - Paul

Mercurial is a distributed VCS, SVN is not.

In your case, I don't think that you need "distributed" because you will
not publish a "fork" of Joomla for others to pull changes, and this is only
for
internal use.

So, I would say SVN will do what you want.

SVN sure has Windows front ends (TortoiseSVN) and is integrated in many IDEs
as well (Eclipse, ...etc.)

If you check http://groups.drupal.org/waterloo-region, we had a very good
overview
of Subversion last month by Andrew Berry. He posted a link to the slides in
there
that you may want to review.

If you want cool new toy, then consider bzr (bazaar ng), which is the
easiest
DVCS out there, and has native Windows clients. It is very capable too.

Git is the second most popular just because the Linux kernel uses it.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.