[kwlug-disc] is it just me, or is debian package management painful?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Aug 13 23:34:18 EDT 2009

Nice work Paul!

In order to use gdebi-core on Sarge you are going to need to do some
tinkering.  There is an Etch version (just plain gdebi) you should be
able to install fairly easily:

http://packages.debian.org/etch/gdebi

Update your apt/sources.list file to get Etch files and just select
gdebi.  Only the necessary upgrades will be done. I seem to recall a
full upgrade of Sarge to Etch as being an xf86/xorg rated nightmare.

You can also list the dependencies of a deb package with:

 dpkg -I  package.deb |grep Depends

apt-get with the output should take care of dependencies.

Debian has only one package management system: dpkg.  Just like rpm.
The others are nice frontends.

My only problem with yum is that the packages I need don't seem to be in
any  repo.  Then I land up having to install and take care of
dependencies by hand. Very 1996.