[kwlug-disc] is it just me, or is debian package management painful?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Aug 13 21:39:25 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Paul Nijjar wrote:

> >   aptitude would work just fine if it can take, as an
> > argument to be
> > installed or upgraded, the name of a .deb package
> > *file*.  if it can
> > do that, problem solved.
> Does this do what you want?
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/gdebi-core

  apparently it does, but i hope you appreciate how this sort of backs
up my frustration with debian pkg mgmt.  the system already has dpkg,
dselect, apt-get and aptitude on it, but i can solve my simple problem
by installing a *fifth* package because it does something basic that
the first four don't.  how many package management solutions does one
OS really need?