[kwlug-disc] is it just me, or is debian package management painful?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Aug 13 16:56:02 EDT 2009

The main point of the deb system is to make sure that you stay on the
"approved" course of packages and do not start breaking your system by
adding random packages with conflicting library dependencies and the like.

First thing you should do is update your Debian install 5.0 (Lenny). 3.1
(Sarge) has been obsolete for quite a while now.  I doubt that your
Sarge can be updated in place without breaking it badly.  Probably best
is a fresh install of Squeeze, the current testing version.

Is your package available in Debian at all?  If it is in the deb
repository, then you can get to it via aptitude.  Again this will
probably break your ancient Sarge.  What is the name of your package?