[kwlug-disc] Image Comparison

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 11 23:35:41 EDT 2009

There is a jhead program, forgot which package installs that.

It extracts the EXIF data from any file that has EXIF.

# jhead ./large-flower/dscf4095.jpg
File name    : ./large-flower/dscf4095.jpg
File size    : 900105 bytes
File date    : 2009:05:31 16:23:52
Camera make  : FUJIFILM
Camera model : FinePix S5100
Date/Time    : 2009:05:31 16:23:51
Resolution   : 2272 x 1704
Flash used   : No
Focal length :  7.5mm  (35mm equivalent: 51mm)
CCD width    : 5.34mm
Exposure time: 0.0042 s  (1/240)
Aperture     : f/2.9
ISO equiv.   : 400
Whitebalance : Manual
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure     : program (auto)

You can run that through grep and extract whichever fields make sense to
you.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:12:04PM -0400, L.D. Paniak wrote:
> > Is the EXIF data compressed with the image or just a header floating on
> > top? Could one just compare the tails of the files?
> >
> > for file in *; do echo "$(tail $file |md5sum) $file" >>tmp;  done
> >
> > sort tmp
>
> According to a quick scan of wikipedia, looks like the EXIF header is
> at the beginning of the file.  Looking at some sample files from my
> camera, the information is not compressed.
>
> So looks like tail would work too, as long as the end doesn't contain
> the same data across multiple pictures.  I don't know if things like
> colour profiles are stored at the end or not.
>
> - Chris

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
http://2bits.com