[kwlug-disc] (Home) External Storage?

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Thu Aug 6 08:21:15 EDT 2009

If you insist on RAID 5 then your only options are a real (expensive)
NAS box, or to build your own from a real computer.  Ditto if you want
better than 10MB/s transfer speeds.

RAID 1 is probably good enough for home.  You can set mdadm up with a
hot spare (or two).  With AHCI capable motherboards you can have
hot-swap too. Drives are cheap and you'll get better performance than
RAID 5.