[kwlug-disc] the business model for open source

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Aug 3 21:41:20 EDT 2009

Wow! Support contention (competition)! NOT something I would have
thought of - cool.

If 'business' is high on RAID (= redundancy), a business can go
redundant support (as well as all the other ways in which they go
redundant), simply by NOT going proprietary.

This is like having your own mail server - bring control back into
your own hands. And the risks too - you have to be ready and willing
to get dirty in managing solution execution. And your example shows
how with MS the choice to get dirty or not is taken away from you,
potentially leaving you with nothing, and nothing you can do about it.

Or, have your solution provider get dirty on your behalf. Someone like
NetDirect perhaps. Nothing intended to be inferred by that, other than
there's no reason you can't ask your favourite vendor, with more
familiarity and personnel to effect such, to do so for you.

Very interesting. It just shows, again, another benefit to working
with local people you can reach out and touch instead of automatic
purchase from a distant corporate conglomerate. Control stays in your
hands. And you have to be willing to potentially have to spend time in
exercising control, rather than just up front spending dollars.