[kwlug-disc] Open Source intro handout

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Apr 29 21:07:57 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Kyle Spaans <3lucid at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> wrote:
> > Linux on a PII with 256megs of RAM just can't compete with Windows on
> > a P4 with a gig of RAM.  Some may think that's an unreasonable
> expectation,
> > but I don't.
> Neither do I. I think it can be done too. The only problem is that I
> imagine it would only work with Gentoo, a custom kernel, and a

_window manager_ rather than a desktop environment. Not the kind

of thing a user can do in their first try, but maybe an experienced enough
> friend.
Agreed. We should not promote that anymore, with Desktop Environment
being what they are today. Gnome and KDE are out. Perhaps XUbuntu
would be usable, but still ...

The print server I use is a PII @ 333MHz with 384MB. It runs Kubuntu 8.04,
and is fine as a print server (The KDE desktop has started but no one has
in nor started applications). When I use the GUI, e.g. to scan documents, it
noticeably slow, though still usable.

The reason I keep it is that it does the job it is meant for, and is
used. It will be replaced when the last person at home without a laptop gets
one, and their desktop (Sempron with 512MB) will be the next print server.