[kwlug-disc] BASH script and config file

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Apr 24 14:50:14 EDT 2009

Dear All,

I'm writing a bash script.  It unzips a collection of zip files, then
processes each of the files within with another tool.  That part works.
it's time-consuming, but it works.

I'd like to make it less time-consuming.  In some cases it makes sense
to only process some of the many files in each zip.  The filenames are
predictable.  So perhaps a config file sort of like this would work:

#
# config file
#

# Foo files are processed for foo
foofile

# bar files are processed for bar
barfile  # and everybody likes bar

# with comments and blamk lines for readability
# and typos
; and semi-colon comments

# baz files are for baz, but we don't need any steenking bazzes.
# bazfile

How do I get this to return foofile and barfile so that I can use it
them in my for file in ... ?

If the end of line comment at barfile is adding complexity I can drop
it.  (And the ; too)

Thanks for the help and best regards,
Richard