[kwlug-disc] Continued: OpenSource Me!]

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Dec 26 17:43:06 EST 2008

The market has always been there. I can only imagine the benefits, let
alone cost savings, if all medical practices were on the same system.
Just imagine if Oscar became the Microsoft Word of medical offices.

 From this thread, it seems there are at least 3 basic problems:
- the package is not easily implementable. Likely, aside from saying
'install', the problems include documentation and surrounding files.
- however good or bad the actual software, the FOSS packaging,
including surrounding bits that make a package get from programmer's
hands to nurse's keyboard, appears to be outside of the developer's
world view. Given it's McMaster, it carries a fair bit of credibility
of having appropriate functionality, it's just getting it into the
user's hands, and afterwards.
- getting it in front of, and into, an office. Marketing. User
acceptance, and critical mass. Changing your prime business software
is a daunting idea in the first place - going with "What the heck's an
Oscar?" is still a leap of faith. The poor packaging making the leap
look farther. It needs to be plug and play, which is still a far
fetched concept for most when everyone still thinks they have unique
needs and requirements. This niche is application driven - hardware,
let alone OS, becomes an issue.

It's all these things that made me ask the question earlier in the
thread: Are there any good references to this stuff? Coding is one
thing - there are a LOT of other fiddly bits to take care of before
code becomes a 'successful' package.