[kwlug-disc] Buying online

Andrew Kohlsmith (lists) aklists at mixdown.ca
Sat Dec 13 18:56:17 EST 2008

On December 11, 2008 03:18:57 pm Raul Suarez wrote:
> So, I've increased my internet accumen: Buy online? sure, but only from
> reputable sellers even if it costs more.

Interesting thread.  I've purchased literally hundreds of thousands of dollars
of tech gear off of ebay, mostly from the US and Canada, but some of it from
overseas as well.  Most of that huge dollar amount was not for my personal
use, of course, but I've bought probably a couple thousand dollars of ebay
items for personal use over the last ... decade?  All in all, hundreds of
transactions total, and not a single screwing.

I've had sellers take quite some time (weeks) to ship an item, but never
anything fraudulent.  I've only used escrow once, on a bunch of Palm Pilots,
because I had some question about the seller.

Maybe I'm just damned lucky though.

-A.