[kwlug-disc] Fw: [About KWLUG] Joint Cooperation

Rick rickm at golden.net
Wed Dec 10 22:33:40 EST 2008

Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> writes:
> Say you got an email like this. How would you respond?

>> From: info at iranfoss.ir <info at iranfoss.ir>
>> Subject: [About KWLUG] Joint Cooperation
>> To: kwlug-webform at weait.com, paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
>> Iranian Free Software User Group sent a message using the
>> contact form at
>> http://kwlug.org/contact.

>> Please be informed that we are ready to send you the
>> agreement if you are
>> interested in.
>> We are looking forward to hearing you soon.

Odd formality ... like why does "an agreement" need to be "sent"?
... maybe from an overly pedantic translation? Anyway, they aren't
asking for money so isn't an obvious scam.

I guess it depends on whether you'd think this would be fun
and whether you feel you have the spare time to get involved.

Also, depends on whether you are concerned about getting a security
clearances in the future ... given how paranoid some Western nations
are about any kind of contact with the "axis of evil".

if FUN and HAVE_TIME and not SECURITY_CLEARENCE:
    print "respond to contact"

I might also ask them why they are so formal. Point out that LUGs
are loose, casual drop-in organizations.