[kwlug-disc] 16GB flash-memory pen transfer speeds up then corrupts files

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Dec 10 21:53:51 EST 2008

Are you copying a single file that's greater than 4 GiBytes?  That will cause corruption
on 32-bit file systems (FAT32 for sure, ext3 maybe) since the directory entry for file
size is only a 32-bit word.  Windows needs NTFS to support files larger than 4 GiBytes.

If you're copying multiple small files or folders totalling greater than 4 GiBytes then I
don't know what goes on.