[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Saltstack, XMPP, IRC (June 2017)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jun 3 02:41:28 EDT 2017

In this world of spinning up virtual machines on demand, the concept
of configuration management -- specifying a server's configuration in
some text-editable, version-controllable files and deploying them to
new machines easily -- is pretty popular. Who knew? In the past we
have had presentations on Puppet and Ansible; this month we will get
salty. Nathan Fish has been working extensively with the Salt (aka
SaltStack) configuration management system at his work, and he has
lots of lessons to share.

In addition, Bob Jonkman and Ronald Barnes have been working on some
services for their KW VoIP group (http://kwvoip.ca) . As part of their
infrastructure they set up XMPP, IRC and other services. They will
explain the setup and use of these tools.

As usual, these presentations will start around 7pm, after meeting
announcements.

The International Day Against DRM is coming up fast, on July 9. Thus
far I am not aware of anybody organizing something concrete, but if
people are interested then I can coordinate you. Please get in touch
if you would like to make something happen.

This month's meeting will be held at the same old meeting space:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener