[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: September Smorgasboard

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 9 21:25:28 EDT 2016

Unfortunately, Kris Braun's OpenWRT presentation had to be postponed
until November. Fortunately, the KWLUG membership is talented
and generous, and since last month's smorgasboard of presentations
went fairly well we have a new set of shortish talks for you to enjoy:

- Busy Bob and Conscientious Chris will reveal the inner workings (and
  their inner workflow) with respect to the Watcamp calendar at
  http://watcamp.com . Thanks to Watcamp, you can learn about tech
  events in the region even if you have no friends and/or are not on
  Facebook; Bob and Chris will show us how they put this community
  resource together.
- Keen Kirk will show us some code he wrote in the Guile Scheme
  interpreter to interface with key management functionality built
  into the Linux kernel.
- Plucky Peter will share his adventures in using a Raspberry Pi 2 to
  build a car computer.
- Awesome Andrew will deliver the presentation we skipped last month,
  telling us about the Indieweb movement and how great it would be if
  we all participated.

Because we are once again blessed with a fairly full schedule, we will
be starting the meeting promptishly at 7pm.

Apparently it is fall or something, so there is a megagram of stuff
coming up:

- Saturday (that's tomorrow! Or maybe today if you are reading this on
  Saturday. Or maybe it is in the past if you don't check your email
  on weekends. What do I know?) is the 2nd annual Maker Expo at
  Kitchener City Hall. Drop by between 10am-6pm to see lots of DIY
  projects and participate in hands-on workshops.

- Maker Expo is a part of Geek Week KW (http://geekweekwr.ca) which
  muscles in on Watcamp's turf for two weeks to highlight a bunch of
  geeky events in the region. (No, KWLUG is not on the list. I guess
  we are not geeky enough.)

- Although not in September, Colin Mills is busy organizing the second
  annual KW Linux Fest, and he is looking for speakers. Visit
  http://kwlinuxfest.ca and see what you can offer.

There is even more stuff happening! I wish there was a tech events
website you could use to find some of this stuff out.

When is our meeting? Monday? Where is our meeting?

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener

There is parking on site. See http://kwlug.org/sjk . Come by around
6:30pm to help set up, or 7pm to be entertained.

- Paul
--
Electoral Reform Town Hall: Sept 14, 7pm, Stanley Park Community Centre!
Info sessions: Sept 21 (Elmira), 28 (New Hamburg), and 29 (Ayr).