[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: Mastering DVDs, Kdenlive

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 5 02:09:03 EST 2016

This month's KWLUG meeting is all about preserving fond memories. In
the dead of winter, Raul Suarez flew off to sunny Mexico and
celebrated his parents' 50th wedding anniversary. Pictures were taken.
Videos were shot. Mission accomplished, right? Not so fast. Some
people celebrating their 50th wedding anniversaries appreciate
physical artifacts of memories, so instead of copying videos and
pictures to a USB key Raul decided to master an interactive DVD (!) of
videos and pictures, using only FLOSSy tools. What happened next? Come
to the meeting and find out.

Meanwhile, Bob Jonkman has fond memories of his laptop working
reliably, but he will valiantly attempt to demonstrate the video
editor Kdenlive video editor nonetheless. Bob often attends public
meetings, and he (or often the shadowy cabal that secretly
orchestrates his actions) often shoots video of these events -- video
that must be edited and uploaded to archive.org posthaste. Bob will
demonstrate the mad video editing skills he uses to make this happen.

We are running the next laptop rescue mission on Saturday, March 19,
and you are invited. So far we have had a good variety of people and
skill levels, and it seems that people have a reasonable amount of
fun. If you would like to have some fun too, contact me offlist. As
usual we will hold the session at Computer Recycling from 4pm to 8pm.

Monday's meeting will be held at its usual location, too:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener

There is car parking in the thrift shop parking lot, and bike parking
along the side of the building. Visit http://kwlug.org/sjk for
pictures and maps. We'll start setting up around 6:30pm, and setup
helpers are always welcome.

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org