[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: Licensing, Flashing an Android Tablet

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 2 17:15:11 EST 2015

Happy New Year! January is a time for resolutions, and at KWLUG world
headquarters we love resolutions, except when we don't. Sometimes
people bring in fancy laptops with nice displays, and those nice
displays are set at resolutions too high for our poor projector.

This month may involve some resolution acrobatics, as Khalid valiantly
attempts to demonstrate how he flashed his aging Android tablet with
OmniROM, which made it faster. Because he likes living on the edge,
he is planning a live demo, and showing the tablet's display on our
poor projector will involve a webcam, lots of resolve, and perhaps
duct tape.

Alternatively, perhaps you have resolved to contribute more to the
Free Software movement this year, which naturally leads to questions
around licensing. If so, this month's meeting is for you: Nathan Fish
will lead us down the licensing rabbithole, offering an overview of
different licencing options available to you, their implications, and
how to go about choosing a licence appropriate for your project.

It's still not an official KWLUG project (and probably will never be),
but the secret conspiracy to fix laptops at Computer Recycling is
coming along. A good group of people has come together to help sort
out laptops and get Xubuntu installed on ones we refurbish. The next
laptop session is scheduled for the afternoon of Saturday, January 10.
Get in touch with me if you would like to participate. Computer
Recycling also has some of these refurbished laptops for sale, and I
can answer questions about those as well.

That's all I have for the new year. Renovations at St John's Kitchen
are (mostly) done, so our meeting will be at the usual location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener

The meeting will start at 7pm. Setup will start around 6:30pm, and
setup helpers are always welcome and appreciated. Find pictures and
maps of the location here: http://kwlug.org/sjk

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org