[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday, 7pm: Virtualization with KVM and Virtualbox

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 31 17:50:51 EDT 2014

Man, we've been talking about The Cloud a lot lately. Clearly it is
time to change focus. So why don't we have a presentation about
virtualization. At first, people don't get virtualization ("Simulating
a computer using a computer? You computer nerds never give up, do
you?") and then they figure out how useful it is and want to
virtualize everything ("Of course I want to virtualize my nuclear
weapons launchpad. What could possibly go wrong?"). Khalid Baheyeldin
has been on a version of that journey, and in this month's
presentation he will tell us all about it. In particular, he is
interested in running headless virtual machines using VirtualBox, KVM,
libvirt, virt-install, virsh, virt-top and other tools with "virt" in
their names. Why did he go on this quest? To build a personal clou...
oh. Nuts.

In other news, a friend of KWLUG is organizing a multi-week Ubuntu course for
women, to be run starting in January. She is looking for a female
co-facilitator to help her with the course. The co-facilitator should
have some familiarity with Linux and some ability to troubleshoot
Linux- and network-related problems. If you would like to help out (or
know somebody who would) please contact me and I will forward further
details.

And that's it, I guess, except for the location info:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street South
Kitchener
(at Victoria and Weber)

Parking might be an issue this month; the parking lot for the thrift
store is under reconstruction. I think there will be some parking
available, however. There is also a parking lot at the bus station
kitty-corner from the building. Bicycle parking will still be
available alongside the side of the building. See http://kwlug.org/sjk
for maps and information.

The meeting starts at 7pm.  The doors open at 6:30pm or so, and setup
helpers are always appreciated.

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org