[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: GnuCash, ledger

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat May 3 07:20:54 EDT 2014

For most of us, tax season is over, and it is time to turn our
attentions to more pleasant things, such as accounting. This month
features two presentations on two fairly different interfaces to
balancing your accounts. One presentation will be a special joint
endeavour by John Kerr and Brent Clements, who will combine forces to
present GnuCash, a graphical double-entry accounting system. Chris
Frey will present ledger (http://ledger-cli.org), an accounting
system that processes a specially formatted text file (!) which
contains all of your transaction data. These presentations will begin
around 7pm (after meeting announcements and recalcitrant audio-visual
equipment).

We have a FLOSS Fund nomination for this month. After the Heartbleed
bug drama last month, Darcy Casselman nominated the hard-working folks
who develop OpenSSL as this month's nominee. You can read an article
that motivated Darcy at
http://veridicalsystems.com/blog/of-money-responsibility-and-pride/
and you can contribute to our donation at the meeting, by getting in
touch with me, or directly at
http://www.openssl.org/support/donations.html . (You may also make
nominations for future FLOSS Funds, provided that you are not a member
of a mysterious FLOSS Fund Cabal that probably doesn't even exist.)

Our meeting will be held at the usual location:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(at Weber)
Kitchener

Doors open around 6:30pm. Setup help is greatly appreciated. Learn
more about the location at http://kwlug.org/sjk

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org