[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: IPv6, OpenLayers

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jun 2 00:43:55 EDT 2012

They gave us ample warning. Nobody can question that. We laughed them
off as wild-eyed doomsters chaining themselves to data centres, but
they were right. They warned us about Peak Address Space, and we kept
hooking up phones and refrigerators and door alarms to the Internet,
sucking up IPv4 addresses like four-octet candy. Now our networking
teeth are rotten, and the supply of public IPv4 addresses is slowing
to a trickle.

Fortunately, the wild-eyed doomsters offered an alternative: IPv6.
Unfortunately, lots of us are still in the dark about IPv6, and are
scrambling to understand what is involved in the IPv4 to IPv6
transition. Fortunately, Jeff Voskamp has some of the answers, and he
will share them with us at this month's KWLUG presentation.

While we are on the topic of poorly-fitting segues, did you know that
the OpenLayers library (which has been mentioned in several
previous presentations, particularly ones involving OpenStreetMap) can
be used for more than mapping? Ralph Janke knows this. He will tell us
about it.

Also on the topic of awkward segues, this month's FLOSS Fund nominee
has both IPv6 and and OpenLayers package. It's a little distribution
called Ubuntu, and it does in fact take donations. Who knows? Maybe
our FLOSS Fund contribution will double its annual revenues. If you
are so inclined, you can contribute to the distribution at the
meeting, or by contacting me.

As usual, our meeting will be held at St John's Kitchen:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria Street North
(Corner of Victoria and Weber)
Kitchener

You can park your protest signs along the side door, and your
horseless carriages in the thrift store parking lot.

- Paul
--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org