[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Ruby on Rails

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 31 20:17:10 EST 2010

Surprise! January 3 is not a statutory holiday! Apparently, certain
public employees of KWLUG may designate the Monday as a day off, but
if you are one of the nonexistent people in this situation, why
bother?  Even you will want to make an exception, because during this
month's meeting Ralph Janke will show off Ruby on Rails, a
web-development framework that took the world by storm a few years
ago. Ruby on Rails allows you to create complex yet maintainable
websites quickly and easily.  This presentation will start at 7pm.

Our first FLOSS Fund nominee for 2011 is Audacity, a sophisticated
multiplatform audio editor. You can learn more about the project at
http://audacity.sourceforge.net , and if you are so inclined you can
make a donation either at the meeting or by contacting me. I have it
on good authority that KWLUG members have used Audacity to edit
recordings of lectures, sermons and all-candidates debates, as well as
to put together podcasts and instrumental music so beautiful they are
no doubt pirated on filesharing networks all over the world.

Speaking of which, did you know that way back in November,
Kitchener-Waterloo MP Peter Braid was named to the legislative
committee for Bill C-32, the bill to update the Copyright Act in
Canada? Did you know that C-32 has passed second reading and will
likely become law in the new year? Interesting times!

I should probably tell you about all the other fine tech events that
are happening locally, but I don't know what they are. Fortunately
they are listed on the WatCamp events calendar:
http://watcamp.com/calendar/ . The site provides iCal and RSS feeds.
Now you can keep your social life busy by attending tech events,
instead of sitting at home feeling lonely and unloved. That's a win,
right?

Anyways, this month's meeting will be held at St John's Kitchen:

St John's Kitchen
97 Victoria St North
(at the corner of Victoria and Weber)
Kitchener

There are maps and photos of the location on our website. There is
some car parking available in the Worth A Second Look parking lot, and
for those crazy enough to cycle in January, ample bike parking along
the side of the building.

- Paul

--
http://pnijjar.freeshell.org