[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Asterisk on Embedded Devices (NOTE OLD LOCATION)

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 27 19:09:04 EST 2009

Everybody loves those hackable router boxes, right? You can turn them
into GPS devices and repeaters and controllers for robotic vacuum
cleaners. And of course everybody loves Asterisk, the open source PBX
system that has geeks the world drooling over the thought of setting
up telephone exchanges on commodity computers. And what could be
better than taking two great things that everybody likes and putting
them together? Like chocolate and chili peppers, like bacon and
avacado, like RMS and Bulgarian folk dancing, this month Lori Paniak
brings together Asterisk and an Asus WL-500g router. He will go
through general setup, configuring Asterisk to work with VOIP, dealing
with voicemail and (if our flaky internet connection decides to work
on Monday) sending real live transmissions to the world! This
presentation starts at 7pm.

There are a couple of important notes about the meeting:
  0. The meeting will be held at our usual location: 43 Queen Street
  South.

  1. The parking lot behind the building has been closed by the City
  of Kitchener so that they can build... a parking lot. See
  http://www.kitchener.ca/charlesbenton/ for more information. It
  looks like the parking lot will remain closed until 2010, so you may
  want to think about carpooling (or use transit or bicycles or your
  feet).

In other news, last month we collected $62.25 for the W3C Validator on
behalf of the FLOSS Fund. As it turns out that money has not been
donated yet (the PayPal link on their web page... isn't valid) but
Andrew is working on it. Meanwhile our FLOSS Fund nominee for March is
on, and it's a worthy one: Xiph.org develops the Ogg Vorbis, Ogg
Theora and FLAC codecs. Their aim is to provide patent/royalty free
ways to encode multimedia. If you are so inclined, you can contribute
to this project at the meeting, or contact me and I can help make
arrangements.

In community event news, the KW Perl Mongers are doing some hardware
hacking of their own: they are making a bulk purchase of Arduino
prototyping boards in preparation for their April meeting. See
http://kw.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?ArduinoHardwareHacking . They will be
making the order the first week of March, so contact them quickly if
you want to get in on the deal.

Again, our meeting will be held at

The Working Centre (Queen Street Commons building)
43 Queen Street South
(Between King and Charles)
Kitchener

There is some pay parking across the street, and there may be other
lots available. (The City of Kitchener link has a PDF map with
available parking.)

- Paul