[kwlug-announce] Richard M. Stallman at UW: January 29

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 24 16:32:38 EST 2009

This is a Very Special Announcement about a Very Special Speaker who
is coming to the University of Waterloo next Thursday. Richard M.
Stallman is the founder of the Free Software Foundation and one of the
most influential driving forces in the FLOSS world.

Some of you may remember that Stallman gave a (pretty good) talk at
the University of Waterloo a few years ago. Well, those wily schemers
at UW's Computer Science Club have organized another Stallman lecture.
This will be held Thursday, January 29 at 3:30pm in Hagey Hall at the
University of Waterloo.  Stallman will speak about the Free Software
Movement.  Admission to this event is free (as in beer) and open to
the general public.

You can read more about the talk at these websites:

http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/events/Hagey_Hall_Theatre-2009-01-29-3:30_PM

http://www.fsf.org/events/20090129waterloo

Ordinarily I would have tried to include this Very Special
Announcement in the monthly KWLUG meeting reminder. However, I did not
find out about this in time for the last announcement, and given the
prominence of the speaker I figured some of you might be angry at me
if I did not let you know ahead of time. So instead you can be
angry at me for flooding you with two announcements in one month.

Note that this talk is not organized by KWLUG, and that we will be
having our regular KWLUG meeting on Feburary 4 (albeit in a new and Very
Special Location). I will send out an announcement about that meeting
next week, which will include other local events such as the Mobile
Development seminars being held on Feb 4 at the Accelerator Centre. If
ever you have other relevant events you would like mentioned, feel
free to drop me a line.

- Paul