[kwlug-announce] Meeting Monday: Stop! Hey! What's that sound?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 4 02:36:46 EDT 2008

There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear. It
appears that my computer is... beeping at me. And playing music at me.
And making funny squishy sounds when I move windows on the screen. How
did this come to pass? Our resident audio guru Brent Clements knows,
and at this month's KWLUG meeting this young man will speak his mind,
telling us about the history, configuration, use and abuse of sound on
Linux. This presentation will begin at 7pm.

This month's FLOSS Fund nominee is the Internet Archive. In addition
to hosting the Wayback Machine archive.org features public-domain
materials such as the Prelinger Archives and "Open
Source movies" released under Creative Commons licenses.

In non-meeting news, Ontario Linux Fest is this month! Topics include
"FLOSS in Education", "Version control for mere mortals". Keynote
speakers include Jeremy Allison (of Samba fame) and Jon Maddog Hall.
Registration is open now. If you're looking for a ride or to share
hotel accomodations, get in touch (with me, I guess) and I will
forward your requests. Check out http://onlinux.ca for more info.

If you've been looking at what's going down, you'll realize that
thanks to the federal election the changes to Canada's copyright act
(Bill C-61) have been shelved for the time being. However, intrepid
KWLUG members have been keeping the issue of copyright on the agenda.
Denver Gingerich summarized a Kitchener-Waterloo debate at the
University of Waterloo where the issue came up (see question 2c):

http://wsic.uwaterloo.ca/wiki/2008_Federal_Candidates_Debate_Summary

In addition, Bob Jonkman has been keeping a list of upcoming
all-candidates meetings so you can find out what your candidates
think:

http://www.fairvote.ca/WaterlooRegion#All-Candidates_Debates

Paranoia strikes deep, so I never know whether I have forgotten
something. Maybe I should tell you where the meeting is?

The Working Centre
43 Queen Street South (the side with the cafe)
(Between King and Charles streets)
Kitchener

There are photos and maps of the meeting location on the website.

- Paul

P.S. I did forget something. Occasionally people send us job listings.
We usually publish those to the kwlug-disc mailing list.